Monday, November 5, 2012

10. Digital Storytelling Outline


Photo from AMC Series, Mad Men

My digital storytelling video will adhere to the concepts of gender roles and patriarchy.  I will discuss two digital storytelling ideas that I have brainstormed and the following:
  • The kinds of people I might include as interviewees.
  • Challenges that I may encounter as I pursue these stories.
  • If I may encounter these challenges, then address how I will overcome these obstacles.
The first digital storytelling idea would examine women discussing their experiences they have encountered with patriarchy and the pressure adhering to gender roles. I would start the video discussing for about a minute and an half on gender inequality in America (this would be done by voiceover with images of women in American society throughout the decades), then would transition into the interviewees and what they have to say. I would try get keep each interview under two minutes. I would select about three to four women; have them talk about their experiences with patriarchy and gender inequality they have encountered in their lives. The challenges that I may encounter are trying to work around the interviewees’ schedules. I would overcome this challenge if I got the okay to follow through with project and would begin immediately conducting interviews.

Brief Overview of first digital storytelling idea:
  •     Examine women and their experiences with gender inequality and patriarchy.
  •     Keep each interview under two minutes.
  •     Start the video discussing briefly about gender inequality in America. 
  •     Then transition into the first interviewee, second and third.

The second digital storytelling idea I have come up with is addressing individual’s viewpoints of the representation of women in the media. This will be done by going in the field and showing a media clip that embodies gender inequality to both men and women. Then videotape each interviewee’s viewpoints on the clip that was shown. First, I would discuss briefly about how women are portrayed in the media and show the clip that I would show to my participants. The clip would be from a television show or some other form of media that shows gender inequality. Then I would record their viewpoints on the clip. The challenge that I may encounter is getting individual’s that would be willing to be filmed. I was thinking about interviewing on campus, but I would possibly encounter noise issues. I am thinking of contacting some individual’s I know and asking them if they would be willing to be interviewed.

Brief overview of the second digital storytelling idea
  • Video would examine men and women’s viewpoints on gender inequality in the media.
  • I would show my media clip to my participants via my iPad.
  • I would start the video discussing briefly gender inequality in the media and the short video clip I would show to my participants.
  • Then transition into the first interviewee, second and third. 

No comments:

Post a Comment